THE BOOK
Some of the ideas discussed in this blog are published in my new book called "The Stonehenge Bluestones" -- available by post and through good bookshops everywhere. Bad bookshops might not have it....
To order, click
HERE

Thursday 24 May 2018

Quote of the day



Thanks to Tony for this one:  "The human transport theory is looking increasingly far-fetched."  Nice one!  I wish I had thought of it myself........

While the debate has concentrated on the bluestones for many years, I get a sense that it is now moving to a consideration of where the sarsens came from too.  As I suggest in my book, it's reasonable to assume that ALL of the stones used in the stone settings at Stonehenge were collected from the neighbourhood.

I suspect that as more and more senior academics pour scorn on the so-called "quarrying evidence" from Rhosyfelin and Carn Goedog, as they surely will, the archaeologists will be pushed further and further into a corner, from which there may be no escape.

1 comment:

TonyH said...

"....the archaeologists will be pushed further and further into a corner, from which there may be no escape".

Immediately thought of the evocative Shawn Colvin song "Shotgun Down the Avalanche", also performed by Cara Dillon and Sam Lakeman;-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJG9kKuzvg